FacePrint is a technical EU project with the goal to make the manufacturing of ear and nose prostheses more efficient. This will be accomplished using 3D-printing.
The patients are often cancer patients or people that have lost their nose/ear in an accident or war. Currently, in 2019, the ear and nose prosthesis are hand made. The waiting period is long, 10 weeks at least and the cost is about 4300€. With FacePrint the prosthesis will be 3D-printed after being modeled by the doctor and patient using a web interface. The cost of the 3D-printed prosthesis would be about 1000€ and it could be delivered by a maximum of 72 hours.
The prosthesis will be attached using magnets that are drilled into the patient’s bone structure. The long term goal is to make the prothesis out of organic material so that the prosthesis can eventually “grow into” the patients’ skin.
When I joined the project a visual design of the user interface was already done by a few graphical designers. My task was to contribute with knowledge within UX so that the interface would be userfriendly and so that the user experience would be as pleasant as possible. Losing a body part is traumatic and seeing your face on the screen, modeling your new nose or ear could be difficult emotionally. My challenge was to make the user experience feel safe and as pleasant as possible.
The user of the interface is the doctor but the patient will be by the doctor’s side when modeling. I did not focus on UI design since there were other people on the team more qualified to do that. I made changes to improve the user experience making the journey more clearly and being transparent with the steps the doctor and user would have to take to complete the task.
I changes the login. The doctor was the user so she would log in using her credentials instead of the patient. Also, I added a search field so that the doctor can search for patients. I separated the part where the information about the patient is added from the part where skin color and type of prosthesis is chosen. The basic information about the patient’s address, social security number, etc can be added prior to the meeting so that the patient can focus on the modeling during the meeting with the doctor. I also added a progress bar so that the progress is visible to the patient and minimized the number of buttons to limit the risk of cognitive overload.
The interface is to be tested during the fall of 2019 in the Netherland and design will be modified based on the results.